Adult Dog Classes
We aim to help you teach your dog both obedience and good manners with people and other dogs.
What classes include:
- Greeting people We show you how to teach your dog to greet people nicely ... without jumping up or shying away. We show you what to do yourself, and we encourage you to involve others in teaching your dog.
- Mixing with other dogs Classes include times when we encourage dogs to interact safely, so they can learn good canine etiquette. We also include times when you tell your dog not to interact with other dogs, so they can learn not to steal toys and to come away from other dogs when called.
- Basic obedience We will show you you how to teach your dog several commands: sit, down, stand, come when called, heel, leave, and stay. When your dog has mastered the basics, you may want to go on and do more advanced commands.
- Advanced obedience We will teach you to send your dog to a mat and settle down. You learn how to tell your dog to stop still from running – a safety measure, eg in case of danger, or if chasing a deer. You can progress heel to a high standard, including off-lead, and recalling directly into heel. We help you slowly built up your dog's ability to stay where you have left them, for a couple of minutes or longer, including while you go out of sight for a moment. We will set up exercises to improve obedience under distracting circumstances, eg recalling away from food, toys, or other dogs, or walking walk past temptations. Another advanced exercise is to leave your dog in a relaxed fashion for a short while, whilst you go out of sight, without your dog becoming distressed or noisy.
- Play time! Play is about both obedience ... and fun! In play sessions we help you teach your dog to bring back toys and to drop them on command. We sometimes have team games in the classes, which are fun way to learn. Members are also welcome to come to fun days outside of our courses, where we play games, teach fun commands, or have other activities.
- Families We are happy for families to attend and for children to take part in training.
- Kennel Club Awards If you wish to you can take the Kennel Club Good Citizen Awards. These awards are for obedient and well behaved pet dogs, without the precision of competition obeddience. We address Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards.
We hope you enjoy the classes as well as learn a lot.
Please remember that the trainers at Four Paws are available to discuss any issues with which you would like additional one-to-one help.